Designboom, in collaboration with INFINITI, are following on from the success of the ‘Inspired Performance’ competition. This time the theme is “Curved Visions”. The aim of this initiative is to find the best talent in the digital art world. The first theme was “Inspired Performance” attracted 500 entries from all over the globe. Japanese designer Shinji Nukumi was announced as the winner and was awarded €10,000 for his brilliant artwork entitled ‘INFINITI Passion’.
If you are a professional designer, an enthusiast or student, you have to enter! Participants are asked to design an unforgettable experience that can be generated through a digital artwork, interior installation piece, or unique performance in the following forms. These will be displayed in the new showrooms that Infiniti is opening throughout Europe and during other premium events of the brand.
Infiniti’s belief is that “the perfect line is a curve” . That’s why they are inviting artists to design the ultimate digital experience of what the curve brings to you. This can be in the form of:
1. digital artwork in the form of images and/or videos: you can (and are encouraged) to include the car or elements of the car as part of the artwork
2. physical installation in the form of a sculpture, 3D mapping, or other exciting media works: installation should take up no more space than an INFINITI car – installation must work in ambient light. You can (and are encouraged) to include the car or elements of the car as part of the installation. Any form of installation that requires bespoke build must be provided by the artist.
3. INFINITI experiential cinema: unique curved cinema experience where you can create a 180° or 360° video installation. Sound and interactivity are optional but will enhance the experience
4. Interactive art piecethat works with Microsoft Kinect: this can be a complete work or conceptual prototype and technology available will be Microsoft surface and Kinect sensors.
5. Live performances- including dance, light, interactive music, body art, or another unique experience
Your works will be installed and managed by a third party, and thus should be both easily assembled and cost effective. Projects that are too expensive or difficult to produce will not be realized and thus cannot advance to the second stage of the competition, even if they are originally selected by the jury as winning designs.
· The winning formula must be clearly linked to INFINITI’s DNA and should express the theme of the competition: CURVED VISIONS.
· Conceptually or physically, INFINITI cars should be in some way the heroes of the creation and are encouraged to include the car or elements of the car as part of the artwork
· Of course, the most impactful projects will achieve a mix of innovation and interactivity, generating an emotional response in those who experience the work.
· Projects may take any form, as long as they address in some way the idea of CURVED VISIONS
INFINITI has provided a library of images and videos that participants can use either for inspiration for their project or to include within their entry (see below in ‘For Your Article’)
The winner will receive a prize of €10,000 and, as always, designboom will publish an exhaustive results report.
Registration is now open through 10 July 2012 so please fill out the form. You may submit your design at any time after registering. Team submissions are welcomed, but please register with one name only. When submitting your design, you will have the opportunity to list all team members’ names.
For each submission, you will be requested to supply:
1. Up to 6 files (images and videos) for uploading to designboom
· Images or a composition of images of your project: image size: 818 pixels wide. To upload your images, please use only .gif or .jpeg files at 72 dpi in RGB color mode, maximum 200 kb each file.
· Performance submissionsshould include a storyboard, video, or other imagery to express the progression of the live event. The designer is responsible for providing any props, equipment, costumes, or performer(s).
· Video clips:we accept flv or swf files only. 818 pixels wide. maximum file size 10MB.
The entry submitted is a low-res version of your original work.Please note that high-resolution image(s)/video will be requested if your work is shortlisted.Broadcasting of the shortlisted entries will require HD files, 1920 x 1080, non-compressed (mov, avi, etc.)
2. Explanation of ideas
A brief description of your design or performance (English text only – please be concise).
3. Statement of acceptance of the competition guidelines
Projects participating in the competition must be original works.
Projects must be free from copyrights and any kind of obligation.
The design shall not in any way infringe on any third party’s right, including but not limited to copyright, logos, trademark, trade names, or other proprietary rights of publicity or privacy.
Works can be submitted up until 10 July 2012.
The shortlist resultswill be announced 4 weeks after the submission deadline.
Any moral and paternity rights regarding the project sent in for application are the designer’s property, however, by submitting a design in the competition, the participant agrees to provide INFINITI with the right of first refusal to the exclusive use of the design. This option is valid for 6 months after the end of the competition. In the event that INFINITI exercises the option to use the rights for production on an exclusive basis and sine die (without time limitations), INFINITI will make an agreement with the participant on usual royalties conditions for the transfer of intellectual property rights.
By participating in the competition, all participants authorise designboom and INFINITI to publish and exhibit all the designs (including project data submitted) – waiving compensation – at exhibitions and events and/or to use them in any publications communications or promotions that designboom and INFINITI may deem suitable and/or necessary. In any cases, each time the creation is used, they must refer to the competition they originate from. designboom and INFINITI will credit the designer’s name to properly attribute authorship of work to promote the author adequately. INFINITI will have the right to apply minor change amendments without damaging the integrity of the artwork – e.g. add the INFINITI logo and text, reframing, translation, changing colours, cutting the background or parts of it, etc…
In case designboom and INFINITI want to bring major changes to the submitted artwork for publication, designboom and INFINITI will contact the designer and inform him/her about the use to obtain the designer’s consent.